The family business of S.J. Phillips was founded in the early 19th century as Silversmiths; Solomon Joel Phillips (1842-1908) opened a shop at 86 Regent Street in the 1860s and by then was also selling antique and second-hand silver; the business moved to 113 Bond Street in about 1870, and in 1966 to 139 New Bond Street - the firm closed their Bond Street shop in 2016 and moved to 26 Bruton Street, London.
Martin Solomon Norton (1911-2005), and his brother Richard (d.1985) joined the firm in 1929 when it was then run by Edmund Phillips (d.1934) the son of S.J. Phillips. Other family members of the business include Jonathan Norton (joined in 1961); Nicolas Norton (joined in 1963) and Francis Norton (joined 1965).