Antique Dealers: the British Antique Trade in the 20th Century

Phillips of Hitchin

Phillips of Hitchin were established in 1884 by Frederick William Phillips (1856-1910), a celebrated antiquary and naturalist. The business began trading as F.W. Phillips at Manor House, Hitchin, which F.W. Phillips purchased in 1880 and remained a family business until the retirement of Jerome Phillips (b.1939) (grandson of F.W. Phillips) in 2014. After the death of Frederick Phillips the business was continued by his sons Hugh Phillips (1886-1972) and Amyas Phillips (1891-1962); Hugh retired from the business in 1935, when the business name changed to Phillips of Hitchin.

During the late 19th and early 20th centuries the business had over 80 rooms of antique furniture and other objects and was also involved in the reproduction of historic wallpapers and textiles, as well as the construction of 'ancient' houses - mostly famously at Bailiffs Court, Sussex, constructed for Lord Moyne in 1927 using a variety of genuine medieval architectural fragments and fittings. Phillips was well-known for producing catalogues and brochures of their stock from the 1880s onwards.  Their client lists reads like a who's-who of major collectors and museums, including the Victoria & Albert Museum, The Metropolitan Museum, New York, and Temple Newsam House, Leeds. 

Trading Names

Phillips of Hitchin 1920 - 2014
F.W. Phillips 1884 - 1920
H & A Phillips 1920

Classifications

General Antiques: General Antiques 1900
Antique Furniture: Antique Furniture 1950

Specialisms

Antiquary 1903

Trading Classifications

No Trading Classifications

People

F.W. Phillips 1884 - 1910
Jerome Phillips 1965 - 2000
Hugh Phillips 1910 - 1935
Amyas Phillips 1910 - 1962

Memberships

BADA 1950 - 2000

Objects Sold

No Objects Sold

Objects Bought

No Objects Bought